Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A Place For Everything

Have you heard this one?
A place for everything and everything in its place.
I pretty much love it because I've found that it works!
When everything has a home two great things come as a result:
1) you can easily point people to where it is.
2) it can always be put away.

I discovered when my kids were toddlers 
That they did a great job putting their things away...
When there was a specific place for their stuff.
I've never been a fan of the 'toy box.'
But I do love containers, baskets, boxes...

So, let me share with you a little about containers.
I love that containers hold our treasures in a tidy way.
I love labeling my containers so that everyone can clearly read what belongs in it.
I love using the same containers because they often work better together.
ie: stack or connect or simply are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
I love that containers hold similar items for easy access.
I love that containers keep items from getting lost 
In cabinets, on shelves, in pantrys, cupboards, and closets.
So.... containerize! ;)

A few tips on containerizing:
Know what and how much you want to containerize.
This will help you know how many containers you need.
Measure your space.
This will help you decide which containers will work in your space.
Collect all the containers you need at the same time.
Manufacturers are constantly changing products.
If you want them all to match or coordinate, buy them all at once
Or you may not find them again 
And no one wants one blue basket when the rest are turquoise, am I right?! ;)

Ok, now a bit of a switch...
I want to share a piece of advice I received from my mother-in-law years ago.
And it's really excellent advice!
Place like items together and place them where you use them.
Let me explain.
In what part of your kitchen do you bake?
The shelves and cupboards nearest that area should house your baking supplies.
And keep everything you need there:
Mixing bowls, measuring cups, ingredients etc.
This makes it easier to bake in one place 
Vs running back and forth around your kitchen.
Pretty great advice, right?!

Here's another example.
Where do you wrap and prepare gifts?
Collect all your gift wrapping paper, ribbons, scissors, tape etc.
And keep them together.
Annnndddd store an extra pair of scissors or tape in that area.
This way everything you need is easily accessible allowing for greater efficiency. 

And here's another... oh my, I can't stop!
Cleaning caddies. Don't even get me started! 
They are the cutest.
They come in different colors and configurations and, and, 
And, I want them all!
Store all of your cleaning supplies together in a caddy
So you can grab that caddy and get to work 
Without having to collect your tools and cleaners first.

So, I can kinda hear some of you saying,
(Yes, the voices come through my screen)
I don't have the space for designated baking, and wrapping areas.
I hear ya! No problem!
Get a container! Ha! 
No, seriously, you could place all your items for gift wrapping
(paper, ribbon, bows, scissors, gift bags etc.) in a tote
Store the tote in a closet or the garage,
And bring it out when needed.
That way everything you need is still in one place 
And stored neatly until needed. Bam!

As you can see, I love organizing and containerizing!
I will attach a few pictures to show you how I have done this around my home.
Remember every home and budget is different.
Do what is best and works for you.
There are also so many budget-friendly ways to organize.
Feel free to ask me for ideas on your projects; I'd be happy to brainstorm with you.
And happy organizing!


Eunora

For my previous post on organization, click here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!