Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Peace Over Perfection



Yesterday I did a small thing that I later realized was a big thing for me.
The act was small, how I did it was big.

Ok, I'll tell you what it was.
I made a meal for a family who recently welcomed a new baby into their home.
See, I told you, a small thing.
Here's the big part: the meal was simple- a pasta dish and salad.

I'm sure by now, you're confused,
What is so big about a simple meal for a friend, right?!
Well, I don't get to do this very often anymore.
Most of my friends are done bringing new life into the world.
And so I don't find myself helping others in this way.

But when I used to, I went over the top.
I would try to think of EVERYTHING to make my meal a blessing to the receiver.
Time was spent not only cooking the meal
But also making side dishes and definitely dessert.
Then there were the napkins to throw in and paper plates-
So no one had to worry about dishes afterwards.
I could go on and on about the particulars, but you get the idea.

So, yesterday I found myself planning this meal
And thinking, oh, I should makes cookies, too.
After preparing I noticed the time.
I wanted to sit down for a few minutes,
To rest just a bit from the fullness of the day.

And then I remembered the cookies.
If I pushed through I might have just enough time to get them baked.
But... I didn't get out the ingredients.
I didn't pull out my mixer.
I didn't turn on the oven.

Instead, I rested.
I sat down for a few minutes at my desk.
I pulled out the book I've been reading,
And I read a few pages, enjoying the peace of the moment.

This was big for me.
In the past this would not have been allowed.
I would have pushed through,
Creating what I deemed the perfect meal to present to a friend.

And I would have exchanged rest for work.
I would have left time to breathe for anxious hustle.
I would have traded peace for perfection.

Now, don't get me wrong.
There is nothing necessarily wrong with presenting a beautiful meal,
Filled with all the extras to make it special.
What was wrong, for me,
Was that I created stress, not just for me, but for those around me.
I traded peace for perfection.

For quite some time I anxiously yearned for peace in this busy season of life.
I wrestled with the concept of breathing still in the midst of a full schedule.
Could I find rest while managing a large family?
Was there room for margins in my planner?

I'm finding the answer is, yes.
Thankfully, the answer is, yes.
But sometimes it's the choice between perfection or peace.
And so my prayer is this:
Lord, help me see where I can serve, yet rest,
Where I can give and still receive.

May you continue in your areas of service to others
And still allow for times of rest.



2 comments:

  1. We're always still learning, aren't we? Glad you found some peace.❤

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!