Friday, September 6, 2013

Fillin' Them With Somethin' Better-

I don't know about you,
But we are completely wrapped up in sports around here.
Football, to be specific.
Three out of four boys.
On three different teams.
In two different cities.
This causes my head to spin with scheduling issues.
Good times... I think.
No, really, we are loving it! =)
(That's my mantra!)

Anyway, enough about our crazy schedule
And onto what that means nutritionally.
Sports season always brings about sports drinks.
I'm not going to pretend that I'm ultra healthy
When it comes to eating,
But I do try.
Seeing those bright colored sports drinks
Makes me cringe a little.
Reading the labels makes me cringe a little more.

So, to the internet I went.
You know, I can find just about everything
With my friend, Google.
Google: DIY sports drink
Result plus a little tweaking and taste-testing
By my faithful four and BAM!
We, I, made our own without ingredients I can't pronounce.

So here, my friends, is our Sports Drink recipe:
Grape flavor-
4 cups water
3/4 cups grape juice (flavor)
2 Tablespoons raw honey (carbohydrates)
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (electrolytes)

Citrus flavor-
4 cups water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/8 cup lime juice
1/8 cup lemon juice
2 Tablespoons raw honey
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt

Drink up, fellow athletes!

Eunora


PS- I wasn't sure if my boys would think it nerdy not to be drinking from the cool name-brand sports drink bottles, so I asked them if we could rinse out an old bottle and refill with ours. To my delight, they couldn't care less and was happy to drink my concoction without trickery. ;)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Eunora! I also cringe everytime I see those neon sports drinks! Though we aren't as 'sports' oriented as your household, these would be great for our martial arts nights!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!