Monday, February 11, 2013

A Proverb Study

The Book of Proverbs


As my boys continue to grow both in age and in stature,
I am feeling compelled to share all I know of my God
As well as to teach them how to know God themselves.

In this next season, it is my desire to encourage my boys
To read, understand, and apply
The wisdom in the book of Proverbs.

To hopefully aid them in this study,
I have put together a little devotion for them to read through.

As I mentioned in several posts now,
I love a devotional titled Daily Strength for Daily Needs.
So, I have combined the study of Proverbs 
With excepts from this book.

This is how I did it:
I read through one Proverb at a time.
As I did so, I chose one verse to key in on.
I then read through Daily Strength for Daily Needs
Looking for an entry that went along with my chosen verse.
As I copied the verses and quotes, 
I wrote additional explanations to help in their understanding of the text.

My hope and prayer is that my boys will become 
Lovers of the Word of God and will grow in their 
Love of Him through His Word and the words 
Of others who have walked with Jesus.

In the upcoming weeks I hope to share with you
These simple devotions.
I have prepared these for my boys
But share them now with you in hopes that 
Others may benefit from them as well.

Because of Jesus,
Eunora

Here is the first in this Proverbs Study:

Proverbs 1

Reread Proverbs 1:7
Read Psalm 145:19
Read Psalm 37:4

Though to-day may not fulfil
All thy hopes, have patience still;
For perchance (perhaps) to-morrow’s sun
Sees thy happier days begun. (will be the start of happier days).
                                    P. Gerhardt

His great desire and delight is God; and by desiring and delighting, he hath (has) Him. Delight thou in the Lord, and He shall give thee thy heart’s desire, HIMSELF; and then surely thou shalt have all. Any other thing commit it to Him, and he shall bring it to pass.
                                                                        R. Leighton

This is one of my favorite quotes. This is what it means to me: When we desire God and delight in God, we shall receive Him. And as we receive God, we realize that it is Him, not stuff etc., that we truly desired! We find our fulfillment and contentment when we are desiring and delighting in our good God.

All who call on God in true faith, earnestly from the heart, will certainly be heard, (God hears us when we call out to Him) and will receive what they have asked and desired, although not in the hour or in the measure, or the very thing which they ask; (our prayers are answered, just not always as we thought they would be) yet they will obtain (receive) something greater and more glorious than they had dared to ask. (He always wants the very best for us and desires to bless us).
                                                                        Martin Luther

1 comment:

  1. I always love to read what the Lord is doing in your life and your kids lives.You are very encouraging in the things you share and your ability to keep things real. Blessings on your family this Valentine's Day. I hope your little men treat you wonderful! Rachel Jordan

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!