Friday, November 16, 2012

Orange Chocolate Chip Scones

I've mentioned a couple of times how much I love this little treat for breakfast.
Some of you have asked for the recipe, so here it is: =)
Enjoy!

chocolate chip scones
I wish I had my own picture of these, but alas, I do not, so I took this one off of pinterest. ;) They look pretty similar.
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
2 eggs
zest of one orange
juice of half an orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425*
In large bowl, whisk dry ingredients. Cut cubes of butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter. In small bowl, stir together eggs, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla, and yogurt. Add egg mixture to flour. Knead in chocolate chips. If dough seems too wet, I just add a bit more flour. Form dough and bake 18-25 min.

I recently made this recipe dairy-free and egg-free by substituting Earth Balance for the butter, flax meal for the eggs (2 Tablespoon + 6 Tablespoons of water), and applesauce for the yogurt. I was pleasantly surprised with how well they turned out. The only difference we could detect was that they were slightly more dense. I may try a little less flax meal next time to see what happens.

Eat these with your favorite green smoothy and it helps balance out the sweet goodness you receive from these. ;)


Eunora

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!