Monday, November 28, 2011

Look up. Yes, but how?

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,
that we may obtain mercy, and find grace
to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:16

Last week I shared about looking up to Jesus in the midst of difficult days.
After posting this I thought, if I were reading this, I would say,
"Sure, I agree, but how?" What does it mean to look up?
Over the years of my Christian walk, I've heard many Christian phrases,
"Take it to the cross."
"Look to Jesus."
But what does all this mean?
Perhaps the answer is different to different people,
But today I'm going to share with you what it means to me,
How I make "looking to Jesus" a real act that I do.

In the midst of chaos,
(and believe me, we can have it here with four energetic boys)
I can tend to start feeling overwhelmed.
On really hard days, at the end of my rope.
This is when I know, I need Jesus!
I need His help, His strength.
So, this is when I call out to Him,
Sometimes literally cry out to Him.
This has taken place over the kitchen sink.
Or sometimes in my bathroom, where I escape for a moment with Him.
I don't flower up my situation.
I tell it to Him like it is, like I feel,
Because I figure, He really already knows.
I simply need to confess my inability to continue without Him.
I then plead for His help.
Sometimes I need wisdom.
Sometimes I need strength, or patience or joy.
Because He is all that I lack,
I can ask Him for whatever I am lacking in the moment.
After I 'cast my cares upon Him,'
I must walk from that time believing that He is going to help me.
I must make choices that reflect my belief that He is helping me.
I must act on my belief.
And He does.
He will never give us more than we can handle.
Amazing!
I have felt, at times, that He has allowed me to dangle from the edge of a cliff.
But, when I look back on those times, I am amazed as I realized I never did fall.
He has always been faithful to hold me.

I also believe that storing God's word in your heart is vital.
For it is in these overwhelming times
That God can bring to mind His promises for you
Through the Scriptures you have stored within you.
Read His word, memorize His word, (I do this best with songs)
And then be amazed as He encourages you with His words.

Life's an interesting journey.
It's not always sunshine and roses.
But in life's tough times
We have the opportunity to experience Jesus
In a personal way.
He is faithful.
He loves us.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

Because of Jesus,

Eunora


Linking up today here:


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the tangible ways you take your life, thoughts, and emotions to Jesus! He is our refuge indeed!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!